Elbow control with auto-rig

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Forum rules
Please read these rules and advices before posting.
  • Before you ask any question about a tool, to avoid duplicates, please:
    1. Search for a solution in the available guides and documents.
      The Duik user guide is available as a PDF for free, or you can buy the beautiful book and help finance Duik.
    2. Some video tutorials are available.
    3. Maybe you can find an answer in the frequently asked questions (FAQ).
    4. You can user the search tool of this forum to see if your question has already been asked.
  • We're very few people to manage this forum, please be patient if we're a bit long to answer.
  • Don't hesitate to answer to other people's questions! The goal of this forum is not only to have the Rainbox team answer users' questions, but to have everyone sharing and helping each other.
  • Finally, please always be polite, and keep in mind that all we want is sharing techniques and knowledge, helping each other.
cubicle

Elbow control with auto-rig

Post by cubicle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:54 am

Hi, I wonder if you could help me.
I have auto-rigged my character, and it all works fine until I try to lift the character's hand - I am trying to position the hand next to the ear as if listening (or lift the hand to drink), but at a certain point the elbow "jumps" up rather than stay down.
This is an example of what's happening:
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 11.49.15.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 11.49.15.png (87.88 KiB) Viewed 431 times
My question is - is there a way to add an elbow controller to an auto-rig so that I could control the position of the elbow when animating an arm? I have seen it done with puppet pins and bones, but couldn't find a way to do this with an auto-rig.
I found this page which seems to address this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsgcziTs9Dg but couldn't find it anywhere in the plugin, has this not been implemented yet?
I will appreciate any tips on how to do this!