Duik Bassel - Flip a Structure/Rig

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Forum rules
Please read these rules and advices before posting.
  • Before you ask any question about a tool, to avoid duplicates, please:
    1. Search for a solution in the available guides and documents.
    2. Some video tutorials are available.
    3. Maybe you can find an answer in the frequently asked questions (FAQ).
    4. You can make a search to see if your question has already been asked.
    • Thank you for giving a detailed and precise title to your topics, to help searching in the future.
    • We're very few people to manage this forum, please be patient if we're a bit long to answer.
    • Don't hesitate to answer to other people's questions! The goal of this forum is not only to have the Rainbox team answer users' questions, but to have everyone sharing and helping each other.
    • Finally, please always be polite, and keep in mind that all we want is sharing techniques and knowledge, helping each other.
Holstian

Duik Bassel - Flip a Structure/Rig

Post by Holstian » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello! I've searched high and low for an answer, and feel like there is something simple I'm missing.

I have a character rigged up, and I'm trying to make the it simply turn around from facing right to left. The rig was simple enough where most things can be moved and it looks fine, but for the rig part that contains the foot structures, I can't find a way to make them go from pointing to the right, flip them around to point to the left without rotating the structure controller 180 degrees.

I found I could use the Extract Controller method, but then other asymmetrical designs flip too and I've already committed to this rig's keyframes in this comp. Is there just a way to flip only one structure/controller without having to flip the entire rig?

Sorry if the question isn't clear.

Thanks!

Duduf

Re: Duik Bassel - Flip a Structure/Rig

Post by Duduf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi,

Flipping rigged structures can be very difficult as there are a lot of expressions using the coordinates of each structures, which change when using the scale property.

To work around this, what I usually do is duplicate the leg I need to flip, flip the deisigns, and rig it again with a new structure, like a third leg for the characters. Then, you can parent the controller of this new flipped leg to the controller of the original one, and use the opacities to choose which one has to be used, without actually flipping anything.

I hope this is clear and helps.

I'm thinking about some way to easily flip any structure, maybe a future version of Duik will include a "flip" button in the effects of structures, or even better a "scale" value, but I still have a lot of work to make sure this works correctly...