Arm not swinging in automatic walk cycle

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Forum rules
Please read these rules and advices before posting.
  • Before you ask any question about a tool, to avoid duplicates, please:
    1. Search for a solution in the available official user guide.
    2. Some video tutorials are available.
    3. Maybe you can find an answer in the frequently asked questions (FAQ).
    4. You can make a search to see if your question has already been asked.
    • Thank you for giving a detailed and precise title to your topics, to help searching in the future.
    • We're very few people to manage this forum, please be patient if we're a bit long to answer.
    • Don't hesitate to answer to other people's questions! The goal of this forum is not only to have the Rainbox team answer users' questions, but to have everyone sharing and helping each other.
    • Finally, please always be polite, and keep in mind that all we want is sharing techniques and knowledge, helping each other.
mfisher9056

Arm not swinging in automatic walk cycle

Post by mfisher9056 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi

I am making a simple walk cycle in Duik and the hands and arms are not swinging back and forth like I've seen done in tutorials. I've been able to get the elbow to bend and straighten but it's like the wrist is locked and the whole arm won't swing. Is there a reason why this might be happening?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 1.08.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 1.08.03 PM.png (600.39 KiB) Viewed 2647 times

Duduf

Re: Arm not swinging in automatic walk cycle

Post by Duduf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi,

I don't see any reason there why it would not work.

You can:

- check in the effects of the hands controllers if there are expressions in the "Individual FK Controls" (or post here a screenshot of the expressions which are in these effects).
- check in the effect of the walk cycle controller if changing the values in the controls for the arms changes something or not.
- Try again in a new composition making sure you select all the controllers when you create the walk cycle, you may have forgotten the hands when creating it...

mfisher9056

Post by mfisher9056 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:26 pm

I've posted a screenshot of what is currently in the individual controls for the hand. I've tried to edit the arm settings in the walk cycle controller but when I change the settings, nothing happens.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 2.19.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 2.19.29 PM.png (123.19 KiB) Viewed 2642 times

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 pm

The IK should be disabled (first checkbox in the effect) as the arm is animated in FK on the walk cycle.

Duik should have disabled it automatically when applying the walk cycle, if it did not this is a bug. Let me know if it was yout mistake or not so I can fix what needs to be fixed ;)

mfisher9056

Post by mfisher9056 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Ah I believe that was my doing so no need to fix anything. The hands have a slight movement to them now but the swinging of the arms is still not happening and I am not able to edit it in the walk cycle controller. It's like the shoulders are locked to the body. Is there another place where I may have accidentally clicked something?

mfisher9056

Post by mfisher9056 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:09 pm

I also noticed that the toes are not automatically bending when my character is walking. I have watched tutorials where this happens automatically but it seems not to be happening in mine. Is this something that I individually need to keyframe out or could there possibly be something wrong? I have linked all my artwork to the right structures I believe so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Liepe

Post by Liepe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:53 am

I'm having this exact same problem with one of my characters. I've done a rig before on a different character and it worked perfectly, arms swing and everything. Now with my current one it doesn't work. I've done the same exact steps and have compared the two rigs just to see if there was a difference but I couldn't find anything. I'm honestly not sure how to fix this and it's driving me insane.

If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

Liepe

Post by Liepe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Never mind. I've figured it out and honestly it's because of such a dumb thing and I hate that it is.

Basically, just have your character face the other direction and make a walk cycle facing that way. The hominoid structure automatically gets created facing the left side of the screen and when you try force it on a character that's walking towards the right, this problem appears. I don't know how to change the direction of the structure yet, or if there's actually a way, but that's the solutions I found. I hope this helps.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'll run some tests ASAP and let you know

Ekho

Post by Ekho » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:10 pm

Bonjour !

J'ai le meme problems, j'ai un character rigged, tout semble okay au niveau des controllers,
cependant lorsque je créer un walk cycle après avoir selectionné tous les controllers, les pieds et jambes fonctionnent correctement mais aucun mouvement ne s'appliquent aux bras et mains. j'ai essayé de désélectionner IK pour les controllers mains mais le fait de désélectionner IK, il semble que les controllers ne contrôlent plus les mains/bras, comme si le rig disparaissait. je ne trouve pas de solution,
merci de votre aide ;)
j'ai appris beaucoup avec tout vos autos, notamment celui sur Tuto.com , encore merci et j'espère trouver une solution a ce problème
Ekho